1970’s McMullen Style 1932 Ford Roadster
Email or call sales at 978.848.0024 if interested. Serious inquiries only.
This car is great tribute to the McMullen 70’s style roadster with some key styling features from 60’s style drag racing. It’s believed to be once owned by Bob Oliver who ran it at on the dry lakes in the 1940’s when it was a faded pink color and ran a Merc Flathead. Running race number 129 at El Mirage in 1946, and number 580 at Harper’s. The roadster still has the Harper’s the timing tag from 6-6-47 on the dash.
Since its time as a dry lakes car, it was rebuilt in 1975, becoming a well-known drag racer around the Denver area. Wining numerous show trophies in the 70’s and 80’s. All of which the current owner still has in his possession. It was driven in cross country trips without issue from Denver to the LA Roadster show many times throughout its history.
When the car was purchased by the current owner 5 years ago, he commissioned Bennett Coachworks in Milwaukee to refresh and service car. Removing some of the less desirable 70’s styling and adding some 60’s style speed items. Performed a normal tune-up; fixing any leaks and seals, brake job, timing and tune-up. The new owner also had some geometry/alignment and drivetrain issues repaired that were discovered. Like squaring up axles, replacing a cracked differential and shortening the drag link to improve drive ability. All totaling over 28K (receipts on file.).
The 40 year old black lacquer and candy flame paint still looks awesome -- and you can tell it was done a long time ago. There is no bondo patch work. There are some chips and flaws, the chrome is pitted in spots -- so it feels like an old hot rod. It has a under car exhaust with mufflers out the back, but it gets run with open headers and it has the sound and attitude to back up the look.
If you're unfamiliar with the McMullen Roadster, here's a link
- Henry Ford body with no outer panel work
- Sitting on a 70’s aftermarket chassis that has been boxed by Norm Francis
- Painted black lacquer 1975, candy flamed and striped by Rody Kuschnereit
- 1969 350 Chevy (.30 over) Engine casting numbers 3970010V0529CNU
- 327/375 HP Clay smith cam
- Turbo 400
- 9 Inch ford 3:25 gears
- Vintage black faced SW gauges
- 1970’s Pioneer Super Tuner
- Tijuana tuck n’roll interior (black & white)
- Custom made black tonneau cover Larry McDaniels
- Vintage moon tank
- Pie crust slicks and Torq-Thrusts in back, with spindle mounts in front.
- Early style Bell 4 spoke steering wheel
- Lokar 23” floor shifter
- Flaming River roadster column
Car comes with tonneau cover, another set of steel wheels and a set of original period headlights.